General Forum > GLBT General Topics

Every-day LGBT political work

(1/2) > >>

K6:

--- Quote from: Mogul on Wed, Apr 26, 2006, 23:20 ---A quite understandable position if one considers oneselfe a foreigner and does not wish to interfere with "local politics". The other question is, of course, whether this position can be recommended for the vast majority of gays and lesbians. I know, our views on dual citizenship differ, but isn't it very practical to actively participate in "local politics" to influence the legislation and actual environment towards gays and lesbians?

--- End quote ---

I must say that I am at times quite tempted to involve myself in local heterosexual politics.For I do have preferences,certain purely sentimental,others the fruit of cold-blooded and cynical figuring.For example,I am quite sympathetic to the Quebec independence movement as a sort of tactical political playmate.But I am not in the least interested in its strategical aims,which is the political independence of Quebec.Political separation from heterosexuals must start somewhere.If we want full blowned separation right now,we will remain confined to theoretical debates.If we start to apply political separation à la carte,that is piecemeal and without having yet our own State,there are pratical aspects of independence to be implemented right now.Like withdrawing from the political processes of the various heterosexual societies in which we live.Or at least,not participating openly in them.If heterosexuals aren`t our fellow countrymen anymore,political association with them must cease and be replace by relations of a diplomatic type,with those heterosexuals with whom it is possible to deal.A gay separatist movement may perfectly deal politically with heterosexuals,but not in a way which would make these heterosexuals appear as our fellow countrymen.

K6

Mogul:

--- Quote from: K6 on Thu, Apr 13, 2006, 02:56 ---[..] Nowadays,either I do not show up at the polling booth,or I cast an blank vote.In that respect,I terminated my relation with heterosexuals as fellow countrymen back in 1979. [..]
--- End quote ---

A quite understandable position if one considers oneselfe a foreigner and does not wish to interfere with "local politics". The other question is, of course, whether this position can be recommended for the vast majority of gays and lesbians. I know, our views on dual citizenship differ, but isn't it very practical to actively participate in "local politics" to influence the legislation and actual environment towards gays and lesbians? Our agenda will include building up good relations with as many countries as possible, and to try and influence their politics in our sense. Participation in local elections might bring real changes - if our 7-10% learn how to act smartly.

K6:

--- Quote from: Mogul on Thu, Apr 13, 2006, 02:34 ---To be sure: we aren't talking about the personal wealth of gay activists - we talk about the money which is payed by gay and lesbian taxpayers to their respective states. It's only fair to re-claim certain part of that money back for gay and lesbian infrastructure, or simply to demand from politicians to provide good work for the money we pay to the state. It's not about "land for money" - we only shall keep in mind that as long as no gay state is existing, we can't afford to completely withdraw from participation in political processes in countries dominated by heterosexuals.

--- End quote ---

The last time I participated in a an election (local and provincial in that case) in Canada was in 1976.Nowadays,either I do not show up at the polling booth,or I cast an blank vote.In that respect,I terminated my relation with heterosexuals as fellow countrymen back in 1979.I pay taxes,but do not mind the least.The equalization of burdens,on the contrary,seems to keep everyone quiet and prevent conflicts.I served in the canadian army reserve,but that is not relevant for there is no compulsory military service in Canada.I was in that case only a volunteer.

K6

Mogul:
To be sure: we aren't talking about the personal wealth of gay activists - we talk about the money which is payed by gay and lesbian taxpayers to their respective states. It's only fair to re-claim certain part of that money back for gay and lesbian infrastructure, or simply to demand from politicians to provide good work for the money we pay to the state. It's not about "land for money" - we only shall keep in mind that as long as no gay state is existing, we can't afford to completely withdraw from participation in political processes in countries dominated by heterosexuals.

Though intense negotiations with "hethro regimes" are not on my every-day personal agenda, I am highly supportive to the work done by other guys and would insist that their efforts are not being denounced. There is no reason to strike back any helping hand, even if this hand is offered by a straight politician.

K6:

The historical characters (and role-models) I have studied were - among other characteristics - completely indifferent to money.They were so singleminded about the idea of self-determination that wealth didn`t count for them.

K6

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version