General Forum > GLBT General Topics

Russia

<< < (5/5)

K6:

The precedents embodied in the past history of Russia are not encouraging.It has never been a democratic country,and I don`t think it will retain
the western characteristics it has acquired after the demise of the Soviet Union.That goes for the decriminalization of homosexuality.In Russia,they never seriously adhered to it,so it will not last.The same way it didn`t last long the last time it was decriminalized,in or around 1918.It was made a crime againt and in 1934.Throughout the history of Russia,the rulers never encountered the type of opposition which in the west lead to,say, parliementary democracy,trade unions and personal freedom,after centuries of evolution.

K6

Feral:
I have, of late, been trying to find some information on this story:

--- Quote --- On the 3d of May members of faction of the far right party “Rodina” (Motherland) has prepared a project of a new law against homosexuals. The first hearing of the law can be as early as June.

The main idea is to forbid open gays and lesbians from working in schools, universities, medias as well as key positions within the army and the police.
--- End quote ---

Sadly, this proposed law is not being much discussed in the news sources available to me. Does anyone else know anything about it?

In the process of looking for it though, I did stumble upon this disturbing article by Dmitry Lytchev published May 27, 2002:

--- Quote --- Two years ago when I warned readers in my article "Russian gays facing dictatorship of homophobes?" that the Yeltsin era's rulings will be recalled by Russian gays as the most liberal, and that from Vladimir V. Putin's phrase "Dictatorship of the law" that only the first word would remain, I was certain that an assault on human rights would not keep us waiting for long. 
--- End quote ---

Among other things, the article contains this letter:

--- Quote --- Having escaped from the Russian Kaliningrad to Belgium and seeking asylum there, Arkady Vasilevsly wrote the following letter to the Queen of Belgium, quoted here in part:

"Your Majesty, our city Kaliningrad is an enclave separated from the rest of Russia. This has allowed the creation of structures that violate human rights. At present there is a real holocaust in our region -- police units openly persecuting gays. Lately this persecution has expanded . There are now executions.

"This campaign is headed by the colonel Emelyanov and the special police department created by him. Because of the steps they've taken, the number of faded lives can be counted in tens. Gays are enduring physical and psychological assaults. Many fake cases have been generated and, as a result, the innocent are subjected to imprisonment lasting between 10-14 years. The gay prisoners are held in inhuman conditions, assaulted by the prisoners and by prison personnel. Many commit suicide.

"This evidence is thoroughly hidden from human right organizations. I have also been discriminated against, persecuted and horribly tortured by these rulers. I was arrested and imprisoned. After my imprisonment I was in the hospital for a while where I was given the degree of disablement. The condition of my health has exploded, and I am currently in the distinct degree of dystrophy. My mother attempted to defend my rights but the prosecutor's office sent her to the mental hospital. Only because of a miracle and with the help of my friends I was given the chance to escape to the Kingdom Of Belgium. I arrived here in the condition of the strongest depression and melancholy. After my escape, the police openly announced to my mother that they'd shot me after an 'attempted' escape."
Signed,
Arkady Vasilevsly
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version