GLR Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Read "Sixteen Propositions" by Michael Denneny in our online-Library!
 http://library.gayhomeland.org/0003/EN/index.htm

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Queer Nation" Manifest from 1991  (Read 14784 times)

Feral

• Official Flying Monkey Smiter
  • Administrator
Re: "Queer Nation" Manifest from 1991
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Oct 26, 2005, 08:52 »

1991 was a different time to be sure. This manifesto is very much in the style of Larry Kramer. His writing is distinctive and I do not think it is often imitated. As a very angry playwrite (rather than a very angry polititian), his dramatic and often hysterical prose caught and held many people's attention. He gave a particularly interesting speech much more recently at Cooper Union.

« Last Edit: Tue, Jan 17, 2006, 03:17 by Feral »
Stonewall was a riot.

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
Re: "Queer Nation" Manifest from 1991
« Reply #2 on: Tue, Oct 25, 2005, 23:16 »

I have eventually found the original text here:

http://www.qrd.org/qrd/misc/text/queers.read.this

An interesting lecture. Though I would not necessarily agree to many of their statements now, from the 1991-perspective many things can be understood.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
"Queer Nation" Manifest from 1991
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Oct 17, 2005, 12:40 »

Look at this:

"I remember receiving a piece of fundraising direct mail from the magazine Outlook in 1988 with the phrase "tacky but we'll take it" written next to the lowest potential contribution of $25. Since $25 is a lot more than I can give at any one time to the groups I support, I decided I might as well send my $5 somewhere else. In 1990 I read Queer Nation's manifesto, "I Hate Straights," in Outweek and wrote a letter to the editor suggesting that if queers of color followed its political lead, we would soon be issuing a statement titled, "I Hate Whiteys," including white queers of European origin. Since that time I've heard very little public criticism of the narrowness of lesbian and gay nationalism. No one would guess from recent stories about wealthy and "powerful" white lesbians on TV and in slick magazines that women earn 69 cents on the dollar compared with men and that black women earn even less."

Does any of you know what the lady is talking about? I would like to get this issue with the "Queer Nation's manifesto" into my fingers!  :E

Source: http://www.thenation.com/doc/19930705/19930705smith
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up