GLR Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Read "Sixteen Propositions" by Michael Denneny in our online-Library!
 http://library.gayhomeland.org/0003/EN/index.htm

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Denneny 12: The only remedy for powerlessness is power  (Read 4158 times)

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
Re: Denneny 12: The only remedy for powerlessness is power
« Reply #4 on: Thu, Jan 26, 2006, 16:49 »

...(I)t seems to me it should be abundantly clear to even the dimmest wit that without power you will not get justice. How anybody could rely on “compassion and kindness” after looking around at the world we live in is beyond me.

Oh yes, the human nature is, unfortunately, ambivalent, and tends to become cruel and abusive if meets no resistence. The joyful component of this circumstance is that by causing tumult, noisense and by grasping power one is arguably able to get justice. As for "respectability" - there are and always were lots of "respectable" homosexual gentlemen - they only were gutless. It is remarkable how one resolute gay man can win on respectability if he makes his true nature visible - and how much respect can a man loose by staying in the closet.

For those who dislike to show any assumedly visible attribute of gayness by themselves (shirt en rosé etc.  >:)) there are many other ways to be visible - they can simply tell people by times about their boyfriend or husband. Or wear dark velvet cloth with glass pearl work on it. =))
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

K6

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Jan 25, 2006, 13:34 »

Also, there has been no diminution of the “moderate” gay voices who think we can achieve anything by continuing to appear “respectable” (which still is, as it has always been, code for “invisible”).

There is also the tendency,among moderate gays and non-gay elements of the LGBT constellation,to incite us to remain non-political in our claims and ambitions,that is to seek nothing beyond private life.This is a trait of the regretable neo-liberal times in which we are living.

K6

K6

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: Wed, Jan 25, 2006, 13:27 »

...(I)t seems to me it should be abundantly clear to even the dimmest wit that without power you will not get justice.

Without power,ideals cannot become a reality.Through the use of power they might not survive intact,if at all,to the process.Which I why I do not believe in the fairy tales of moderate gays,or of the non-gay elements of the LGBT constellation.

K6

Feral

• Official Flying Monkey Smiter
  • Administrator
Denneny 12: The only remedy for powerlessness is power
« Reply #1 on: Wed, Jan 25, 2006, 09:58 »

Denneny’s twelfth proposition is: “The only remedy for powerlessness is power.”

...(I)t seems to me it should be abundantly clear to even the dimmest wit that without power you will not get justice. How anybody could rely on “compassion and kindness” after looking around at the world we live in is beyond me. “Moderate” gays who think we can achieve tolerance by respectability seem to me willfully ignorant of our own history, as well as the history of other oppressed groups. They are the court Jews of our time, however good their subjective intentions.

Straights who object to our daily increasing visibility are basically objecting to the assertion of power implicit in that phenomenon. They would prefer that we continue to rely on their “compassion and kindness” and correctly sense that our refusal to do so directly insults them. With their record on the matter it is hard to imagine why they are surprised. In fact, our extraordinary explosion into visibility, the spontaneous and visible assertion of our sexual identity that constitutes the clone look is politically valuable. Not only are we more visible to each other, we are more visible to them. Of course, one would naturally expect a backlash at this point; it is virtually unknown in history for any group to give up power over any other without a struggle.

As far as the power inherent in “visibility” goes, gays have made enormous strides since 1981. Increasingly, gays are elected to public office in a number of countries. The expected backlash of course did occur and is still occurring in the US and other places. Also, there has been no diminution of the “moderate” gay voices who think we can achieve anything by continuing to appear “respectable” (which still is, as it has always been, code for “invisible”).
Stonewall was a riot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up