General Forum > Gay Youth Issues

Gay teen speaks out against 'Love in Action'

<< < (2/5) > >>

K6:

--- Quote from: berto on Tue, May 16, 2006, 05:27 ---Have you seen the recent polls? Conservative support rising in Québec. Look out!

--- End quote ---

I highly appreciate the kind of freedom as well as the stimulating intellectual environment I enjoy as a gay in Canada and in Quebec.But I have never taken that situation for granted,and thus likely to last forever.Through this warning of yours,you are already preaching to a convert.

K6

berto:

--- Quote from: K6 on Wed, Apr 19, 2006, 23:30 ---Quebec has a well and longtime established anti-church mentality.
--- End quote ---

... as the result of suffering through the St. Larent - Duplessis years as a virtual vassal of the church, yes. Québec has been burned by the church already, and is duly wary of it as a result.

--- Quote ---Alberta is not likely to impose its ways on the rest of the country,even though it has oil.
--- End quote ---

... as long as the Conservatives don't get a majority.

--- Quote ---And Quebec - where I live and which has no conservative constituency either political or cultural -
--- End quote ---

Have you seen the recent polls? Conservative support rising in Québec. Look out!

--- Quote ---has the option of seceding from Canada anyway,thus making of Alberta the distant part of another country.
--- End quote ---

On paper, at least, *all* provinces have that ability, although I think the sentiment is strongest in Québec and Newfoundland & Labrador.

K6

--- Quote ---
--- End quote ---

K6:

--- Quote from: Feral on Wed, Apr 19, 2006, 20:40 ---Sadly, I must report that the situation in the province of Alberta regarding the ex-gay phenomenon more closely resembles the situation that pertains in the very worst parts of the United States. Fortunately, the state of family law, even in Alberta, is such that these young people have defenders. The chief problem is in communicating the availability of defence.

--- End quote ---

Alberta is not likely to impose its ways on the rest of the country,even though it has oil.And Quebec - where I live and which has no conservative constituency either political or cultural - as the option of seceding from Canada anyway,thus making of Alberta the distant part of another country.

K6

Feral:

--- Quote ---The situation in Canada is more or less the same as in Europe.
--- End quote ---

Sadly, I must report that the situation in the province of Alberta regarding the ex-gay phenomenon more closely resembles the situation that pertains in the very worst parts of the United States. Fortunately, the state of family law, even in Alberta, is such that these young people have defenders. The chief problem is in communicating the availability of defence.

K6:

--- Quote from: Vizier on Wed, Apr 19, 2006, 09:38 ---I have been researching the "ex-gay" movement in Europe since moving back here in February and have so far found no overt signs of existence, which does not, however, mean that they are not stealthily and under some other guise operating here, especially in Eastern Europe. I will continue to research the topic and post any eventual findings. This is a largely U.S.-borne phenomenon which most of the rest of the world would not countenance.

--- End quote ---

The situation in Canada is more or less the same as in Europe.The interference of religion in political or social matters is generally not accepted by the population.Quebec has a well and longtime established anti-church mentality.

K6

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version