GLR Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Read "Sixteen Propositions" by Michael Denneny in our online-Library!
 http://library.gayhomeland.org/0003/EN/index.htm

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Human Rights Abuses against Gays  (Read 4160 times)

K6

• Forum member
Re: Human Rights Abuses against Gays
« Reply #4 on: Wed, Mar 29, 2006, 08:33 »

Though now surelly not exactly up-to-date, the materials might apear interesting out of historical reasons. How did you gather the material in the pre-internet time? This was surelly a very time-consuming a work...

Surprisingly,the ressources existed in pre-internet times and ... in Germany.With the Spartakus gay guide edited there,in Berlin if I am not mistaken,one could put together the general pieces of the puzzle.Later on of course,and with the internet,so much information became available that my files on certain countries came to contain contradictory versions and rumors about the status of homosexuality there.Gathering the information ressembled somewhat hunting as I had practiced it for several years,from childhood untill early adulhood.The information existed,but I had to be constantly on the look to get it.It helped that I was (and still am) a voracious reader of books and media,both local and foreign.It took me about five or six years to have the country files I still have today.Out of gratefulness to the editors of the Spartakus gay guide,I sent them three detailed reports of my trips abroad,two on Colombia (along with local press clippings and articles on the gay community) and one on Cuba.

K6

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Mar 29, 2006, 03:05 »

From approximatly the late 80s to 1996,I kept up to date detailed files on the Status of homosexuality in each and every of the 193 existing independent countries.[..]

Though now surelly not exactly up-to-date, the materials might apear interesting out of historical reasons. How did you gather the material in the pre-internet time? This was surelly a very time-consuming a work...

The reports on every country, as gathered in the report, are of course a quick help for orientation. I am most sure that even in the most liberal countries so many gays encounter discrimination and harassment that a detailed report for one single country would fill books.

Another resource, focused on legislation and age of consent, is the sodomylaws.org. However, the website might contain informations, which are a little bit obsolet.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

K6

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: Wed, Mar 29, 2006, 00:19 »

From approximatly the late 80s to 1996,I kept up to date detailed files on the Status of homosexuality in each and every of the 193 existing
independent countries.I communicated a summary of those files to the ILGA at least on one occasion.I still have those files in one of my computers,updated to 1996.Each file indicates wether a country allows,forbids or fails to mention homosexuality,and wether the prohibition is enforced where it exists.

K6

Feral

• Official Flying Monkey Smiter
  • Administrator
Human Rights Abuses against Gays
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Mar 28, 2006, 04:59 »

Sometimes you just need to ask the right person. On April 9, 1991, three Washington activists met with Tom Williams, then director of the Country Human Rights Reports Team at State Department headquarters in Washington’s Foggy Bottom. Michael Petrelis of ACT UP, Margaret Cantrell of Gay and Lesbian Watch and Barrett Brick of the World Congress of Gay and Lesbian Jewish Organizations wanted State to include anti-gay incidents in its annual report to Congress on human rights abuses around the world. They had done their homework, and provided Williams with evidence of incidents that should have been in the 1990 report. Williams was persuaded, and the report has included gay-related incidents ever since. 

The success of Petrelis and his international network of collaborators is evident in the report. Available online at state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2005 , it includes numerous anti-gay incidents, some familiar from gay press reports.

Mr. Petrelis lists portions of the report at his blog. The Gay and Lesbian Activists Alliance has published the same material.
Stonewall was a riot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up