GLR Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Read "Sixteen Propositions" by Michael Denneny in our online-Library!
 http://library.gayhomeland.org/0003/EN/index.htm

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Military  (Read 16936 times)

GwenLA

• Forum member
Re: Military
« Reply #5 on: Wed, Jun 28, 2006, 10:28 »

If a country like this is to survive it needs a very strong and very capable military. Also acquiring a few nukes that would hit anywhere in the world would be a definite bonus as well too. For a time being military service of 2 years would be required of every citizen.  I would be more than happy to serve. Hope to see a little bit of front line combat as well.

K6

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: Mon, May 01, 2006, 18:10 »

Being a lifelong civilian, I know as little as nothing about the requirements of military service.

In Canada and as far as I know,the armed forces will take no one above 45 years of age in time of war,and above 32 years of age in time of peace.
When I entered myself as a volunteer in the army reserve,I was 19.Some cheated with the minimal age,which was 17,but the military authorities
didn`t seemed to mind too much.In my unit,there were at least one or two guys who were only 16,and did look like 16.

K6

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: Mon, May 01, 2006, 17:10 »

[..] Beyond the age of military service though I now may be (I will be 53 on april 21), I would show up and anwer present nevertheless if a Gay Republic existed.I would accept humbly my place in the ranks,just like any other ordinary soldier,to serve my people and my country. [..]

Being a lifelong civilian, I know as little as nothing about the requirements of military service. Alone, the military will certainly need not only active soldiers, but also some military teachers etc - so even a "grandpa" like yours can find his right place in the armed forces.  ;D

Alone, it deems that all of us will be old fellows at the very day when the first recruits will take their place in defence forces. Well, K6, you will have to make do with being a recruiter:gi 
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

K6

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: Mon, Apr 17, 2006, 18:38 »

No, I am entirely serious about this subject - the Gay State will need armed forces, and very good ones. Considering our low popularity among much of the present states, our physical survival will depend on our ability to defend ourselves.

Here,I entirely aggree with Mogul.The moment we have a country of our own,we must depend from nothing else but our own armed forces: the
national armed forces of a sovereign and independent Gay Republic.Beyond the age of military service though I now may be (I will be 53 on april 21),
I would show up and anwer present nevertheless if a Gay Republic existed.I would accept humbly my place in the ranks,just like any other ordinary soldier,to serve my people and my country.

K6

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
Military
« Reply #1 on: Mon, Apr 17, 2006, 18:07 »

What about some plakate/collage dedicated to the (future) Gay Republic Armed Forces? [..]
Vicky!

I hope your idea of "Gay armed forces" was tongue-in-cheek! :R

Jaix

No, I am entirely serious about this subject - the Gay State will need armed forces, and very good ones. Considering our low popularity among much of the present states, our physical survival will depend on our ability to defend ourselves. To be sure: we are talking about armed forces of an independent state, not about guerila fighters like IRA within an existing other state. Though gay self-defence paramilitary units might appear as a suitable solution for certain countries, I wouldn't advocate them on this forum.

At this point in time, any reference to gay military forces would, of course, be a purely rhetorical device.

Armed forces are a customary part of the apparatus of the state, however. International law is largely founded upon the threat of armed conflict. Indeed, the current definition of territorial sovereignty requires military control of the territory in question. Without this control, no state is likely to acknowledge a people's sovereignty, no matter how remote the physical location might be.

The role of the military in the function of the state is a controversial topic -- there are many arguments to be made in favor of eschewing such practices. [..]

A state without armed forces is entirely on the grace of its neighbouring states - or enjoys protection by military forces of another state. Few examples are known when states by free pieces abandoned armed forces - mostly those states decided to re-install their military withinn few years thereafter. Recent examples are Germany and Japan, which both were defeated in the WWII and subsecuently occupied. Both countries choosed not to have armies at first, but now they again have good armies. Another example is Costa Rica, but the safety of this country seems to depend from the benevolenth of the United States, therefore is bought by surrendering a part of its souvereignity. But even Costa Rica has armed police.

Surely, military withdraws precious ressources which could be better used elsewhere. Unfortunately, the relpolitiks of the international system do not care much of well-meaning appeals, therefore any responsible government must take precautions that the country is able to defend itself. It is good to pursue non-violence politics, but efficient armed forces are extremely usefull to persuade other countries that they better do not think of using violence as well. Some countries even regard it necessary to posess weapons of mass destruction to withhold other countries from assaulting them. Being a pacifist and a military at the same time is no contradiction - one solely must ensure that the good guys are in a condition to keep the bad guys without weapons.

I have studied diplomatic and military history for the last 35 years.The armed conflict I know best is WWII,especially the part that has to do with the operations on the Russian front.My favourite series of battles is the one of Operation Bagration (Byelorussia,june to august 1944).I am always interested in a discussion about geopolitics.Even better if we can make the connection with a future gay State,its alliances and diplomacy. [..]

Though we are not planning some military operations in the next future (how shall we come to this?) ;D the military itself is an interesting subject, isn't it? The consensus so far is that we refuse use of violence to find a solution of our territorial question, therefore the hypothetic military doctrin of the future gay state would mostly deal with defence, I guess. The details would depend much of the location - an archipelago inmids of Pacifics requires very different conception from an enclave in Africa.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up