General Forum > GLBT General Topics

Iran

<< < (2/6) > >>

Mogul:
The text of a speach by Arsham Parsi (spokesman for the Persian and Gay Organization) on a Gala in Toronto can be read here. Mr. Parsi was granted asylum in Canada and he is planning to charter PGLO in Canada.

Mogul:

--- Quote from: Feral on Tue, Jun 13, 2006, 11:21 ---I have little faith in the effectiveness of such vigils in promoting change, especially in places like Iran.
--- End quote ---

It won't directly help to fight the mullahs, of course. The reason why we commemorate our deads is that we do it for our own sake as community - and hopefully inspiring our people to contribute efforts to fight homophobia by other actions.

Feral:
Michael Petrelis is planning a vigil.

--- Quote ---There is nearly one month's lead time to mark the tragic public hangings of two gay teenagers in Iran last year, and I am organizing a vigil and speak out on Wednesday, July 19, at Harvey Milk Plaza in San Francisco, from 5:00 - 6:00 pm.

The purpose of the vigil is to demand Iran's leaders respect the human rights of its gay citizens, to remember Mahmoud Asgari and Ayaz Marhoni, the two gays hanged and demand an end to the death penalty.

Please join me in publicly standing up on July 19 for gays in Iran and in exile, many of whom face state-sanctioned torture and execution.
--- End quote ---

I have little faith in the effectiveness of such vigils in promoting change, especially in places like Iran. Still, there are purposes for vigils other than political action. The deaths of Mahmoud Asgari and Ayaz Marhoni deserve commemoration, even though they are but two from among thousands.

Mogul:
In an article on internet censoreshop in Iran, Ali Jaafar reports that Iranian authorities are using advanced technologies to filter out unwanted content out of websites. The propaganda efforts become increasingly a subject of technological leadership, I guess. 

Mogul:
Brian Whitaker has published his book on homosexuality in Arabic countries: "Unspeakable love: gay and lesbian life in the Middle East", ISBN: 086356819X.

A review of the book is available, additionally an interesting interview with the author can be read here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version