GLR Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Read "Sixteen Propositions" by Michael Denneny in our online-Library!
 http://library.gayhomeland.org/0003/EN/index.htm

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Iran  (Read 18949 times)

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
Re: Iran
« Reply #27 on: Mon, Oct 16, 2006, 11:19 »

Doug Ireland has another story about an amazing gay activist in Iran. It will appear in Gay City News tomorrow, but you can read it on Doug's blog today.

I asked Mani what would happen to him if the government found out about his gay activism with the PGLO. He answered, “I would definitely be killed in the most horrendous way, and my family, too, would be harassed and persecuted. No physical sign of me will remain. But I believe my name will live on as a defender of homosexual rights in everyone’s memory.”

The story received a predictable continuation. According to a new report by Doug Ireland, Mani's identity was discovered by his employer and reported to the authorities. Luckily, the man managed to escape to Turkey and is in Istanbul now, penniless and living on the street. Arsham Parsi from the Iranian Queer Organization (former PGLO) asks for donations to help Mani survive in Turkey.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

Feral

• Official Flying Monkey Smiter
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Sat, Sep 30, 2006, 05:31 »

What places remain that ARE safe for them to seek refuge in?
Stonewall was a riot.

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #25 on: Sat, Sep 30, 2006, 04:07 »

Swerige Radio reports that Sweden has resumed extradiction of gay Asylum seekers to Iranian authorities:

Sweden has again started expelling Iranian homosexuals seeking asylum here – ending the freeze which went into effect after the public hangings of 2 teen-age gays in Iran over a year ago. Swedish migration authorities say they are basing their decision on reports from the Swedish Embassy in Teheran which claim that homosexuals risk no dangers there – as long as they are discrete.

Swedish gay activists and the Swedish section of the global human rights organization, Amnesty International, sharply criticize this line as cynical – asking if other categories of persecuted refugees are being denied asylum here with the argument that they should go home and simply avoid detection by the regimes.

This shows once again how little we can trust into western democracies and our "common values". Wasn't Sweden once one of the most liberal countries in this world? Also the attempts of Netherland's government last year to extradict gay refugees shall not be forgotten.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #24 on: Thu, Jul 06, 2006, 03:08 »

I wonder about how an on-site gay activism is possible under such political circumstances. The man is undoubtedly in real life danger, and the personal informations disclosed in the report are actually sufficient to identify him, should the Iranian authorities become interested. In my personal opinion, it would be better if the man was brought out of the country immediately.

Feral

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Wed, Jul 05, 2006, 23:49 »

Doug Ireland has another story about an amazing gay activist in Iran. It will appear in Gay City News tomorrow, but you can read it on Doug's blog today.

I asked Mani what would happen to him if the government found out about his gay activism with the PGLO. He answered, “I would definitely be killed in the most horrendous way, and my family, too, would be harassed and persecuted. No physical sign of me will remain. But I believe my name will live on as a defender of homosexual rights in everyone’s memory.”

What would Mani like to say to Western gays? “You who live serenely and comfortably on the other side of Iran’s frontiers, be aware that those who think and feel and love like you do in Iran are executed for the crime of homosexuality, are assassinated, kidnapped, and barred from working in offices. You have festivals, and they prisons. You select Mr. Gay of the Year, but they don’t even enjoy the right to have gravestones. Be fair and tell us what difference there is between us and you. Isn’t it time that all homosexuals around the world rise up and come to our defense?
Stonewall was a riot.

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #22 on: Thu, Jun 15, 2006, 00:24 »

The text of a speach by Arsham Parsi (spokesman for the Persian and Gay Organization) on a Gala in Toronto can be read here. Mr. Parsi was granted asylum in Canada and he is planning to charter PGLO in Canada.

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: Tue, Jun 13, 2006, 23:42 »

I have little faith in the effectiveness of such vigils in promoting change, especially in places like Iran.

It won't directly help to fight the mullahs, of course. The reason why we commemorate our deads is that we do it for our own sake as community - and hopefully inspiring our people to contribute efforts to fight homophobia by other actions.

Feral

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Tue, Jun 13, 2006, 11:21 »

Michael Petrelis is planning a vigil.

There is nearly one month's lead time to mark the tragic public hangings of two gay teenagers in Iran last year, and I am organizing a vigil and speak out on Wednesday, July 19, at Harvey Milk Plaza in San Francisco, from 5:00 - 6:00 pm.

The purpose of the vigil is to demand Iran's leaders respect the human rights of its gay citizens, to remember Mahmoud Asgari and Ayaz Marhoni, the two gays hanged and demand an end to the death penalty.

Please join me in publicly standing up on July 19 for gays in Iran and in exile, many of whom face state-sanctioned torture and execution.

I have little faith in the effectiveness of such vigils in promoting change, especially in places like Iran. Still, there are purposes for vigils other than political action. The deaths of Mahmoud Asgari and Ayaz Marhoni deserve commemoration, even though they are but two from among thousands.
Stonewall was a riot.

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #19 on: Mon, Jun 05, 2006, 15:19 »

In an article on internet censoreshop in Iran, Ali Jaafar reports that Iranian authorities are using advanced technologies to filter out unwanted content out of websites. The propaganda efforts become increasingly a subject of technological leadership, I guess. 

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #18 on: Tue, May 23, 2006, 00:03 »

Brian Whitaker has published his book on homosexuality in Arabic countries: "Unspeakable love: gay and lesbian life in the Middle East", ISBN: 086356819X.

A review of the book is available, additionally an interesting interview with the author can be read here.

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #17 on: Mon, May 22, 2006, 22:26 »

They could go as far as being interested by and in you enough to try actually recruit you.And they would have the means to seduce you,including from the standpoint of your own sexual orientation.Islam has certain aspects,like the segregation of the sexes,the hostility to women and the rampant homosexuality,which could prove fatally attractive to a gay.Islam has,politically,grand and wordly designs,pursuided with great cleverness and oppotunism.In that context,it will naturally seek converts among citizens of western secular countries,the ones it thinks at the same time weak morally and unhappy with their own hethro societies. [..]

As far as I can judge the issue, islamic scholarship and adherent political organizations are trying to recruit followers especially among immigrants in western countries. This group is a very attractive to them: being sufficiently wealthy to constitute potential donors, the immigrants often are rightfully discontent with their social situation, and look for alternative ways to find their place in the society. An outstanding example of this propagandistic effort is the portal www.islamonline.net, which is covering many issues of interests, presenting islam in a non-agressive, but a distinctive way.

Such efforts show, no doubt, devastating influence on undecisive gay moslem youth - they subtly are planting a seed of disdain against the young homosexual's inherent nature and offer him some "natural" and "dignified" alternative.

K6

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: Sat, May 13, 2006, 07:15 »

It's a while now, that I have requested some explanations from Ayatollah Sistani's speak persons. The prolonged request and the short answer was:

They would be polite enough to answer your e-mail, while they would not hesitate to stone you. At least, out of some reasons they refused to explain their views on death penalty more explicitely.

They could go as far as being interested by and in you enough to try actually recruit you.And they would have the means to seduce you,including
from the standpoint of your own sexual orientation.Islam has certain aspects,like the segregation of the sexes,the hostility to women and the rampant homosexuality,which could prove fatally attractive to a gay.Islam has,politically,grand and wordly designs,pursuided with great cleverness and oppotunism.In that context,it will naturally seek converts among citizens of western secular countries,the ones it thinks at the same time
weak morally and unhappy with their own hethro societies.Communism played the same game in its time,and found and used for its own purposes many simpleminded gays.I say this,because I am aware that a certain type of gay easily falls prey to such approaches as can be attempted by extremist hethro faiths,either religious or secular.Particularly religious ones.The availability of our human ressources is for our own cause of self-determination only.Not for any alternative cause,particularly idealistic ones,suggested by hethro societies.

K6

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #15 on: Sat, May 13, 2006, 03:38 »

It's a while now, that I have requested some explanations from Ayatollah Sistani's speak persons. The prolonged request and the short answer was:

They would be polite enough to answer your e-mail, while they would not hesitate to stone you. At least, out of some reasons they refused to explain their views on death penalty more explicitely.

P.S. The post was edited to re-set the path to the *.png file.
« Last Edit: Sun, Jul 09, 2006, 23:04 by Mogul »

K6

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: Fri, May 12, 2006, 06:46 »

Well, we all know the bitter facts - both in Iran and in the rest of the world. Isn't it indeed disgusting to write and speak such words while at the same time not believing in the single one of them? This cinism is striking, but not really astounding - we all know that modern Mullahs are using all the achievements of modern civilisation, including rhethorics and dialictics. I can see their propaganda think tanks working day and night to invent strategies for their international performances.

I am not overly affected by such contradictory speech from the part of mullahs or priests.For the obvious simple reason that I regard such universal
ideals like the one they preach as ridiculous,not of this world.There is no world community,no universal interest.There are only competing national or tribal interests.The world will remain divided.There will never exist a world Empire like the one those mullahs or priests would want to rule.

K6

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: Fri, May 12, 2006, 04:58 »

A letter from a Hypocrite to a Hypocrite

I have read the recent Letter send by the president of Iran to the president of the USA. It contains many interesting passages, among them the following amazing statements:

"All prophets, speak of peace and tranquility for man -- based on monotheism, justice and respect for human dignity.

Do you not think that if all of us come to believe in and abide by these principles, that is, monotheism, worship of God, justice, respect for the dignity of man, belief in the Last Day, we can overcome the present problems of the world -- that are the result of disobedience to the Almighty and the teachings of prophets – and improve our performance?
Do you not think that belief in these principles promotes and guarantees peace, friendship and justice?
Do you not think that the aforementioned written or unwritten principles are universally respected?
Will you not accept this invitation? That is, a genuine return to the teachings of prophets, to monotheism and justice, to preserve human dignity and obedience to the Almighty and His prophets? "

Well, we all know the bitter facts - both in Iran and in the rest of the world. Isn't it indeed disgusting to write and speak such words while at the same time not believing in the single one of them? This cinism is striking, but not really astounding - we all know that modern Mullahs are using all the achievements of modern civilisation, including rhethorics and dialictics. I can see their propaganda think tanks working day and night to invent strategies for their international performances.

P.S. The letter was sent, of course, by the president of Iran - sorry for the typo.
« Last Edit: Mon, May 22, 2006, 00:08 by Mogul »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up