General Forum > Gay Homeland - General discussions

"Gay State" by Garrett Graham

(1/3) > >>

Mogul:
Apparently, the book can be ordered now:

The Gay State
The Quest for an Independent Gay Nation-State and What it Means to Conservatives and the World’s Religions

By Garrett Graham
Publisher: iUniverse (May 4, 2010)
Pages: 284
Size: 6x9
ISBN: 978-1450209946 (hardcover, USD 30.95)
ISBN: 978-1450209922 (softcover, USD 20.95)

Sources:

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?Book=189915
http://www.amazon.com/Gay-State-Independent-Nation-State-Conservatives/dp/1450209947 (hardcover)
http://www.amazon.com/Gay-State-Independent-Nation-State-Conservatives/dp/1450209920 (softcover)

Leoroc:
I can make this event and will start planning to.

Mogul:
Here, the latest news. Is anybody on the list able to attend the event in NY City?

“The Gay State” To Launch From New York City,

FREEDOM  Commences on May 21st;

Book is Gay Manifesto for Independence and Gay Nationalism Calling for Politically Autonomous Gay Homeland.

April 28, 2010

(New York) – The highly anticipated launch of “The Gay State:  The Quest for an Independent Gay Nation-State and what It Means to Conservatives and the World’s Religions” is scheduled for May 21, 2010 in New York City.  According to Dottie Shapiro, agent for author Garrett Graham, “This book has been a rally cry for Gay people around the world who are yearning for peace, freedom, liberty and above all, equality – and a lightning rod for those who oppose their advances.  And in keeping with his pride in the Gay community,  Garrett (Graham) has agreed to hold the launch reception at the Leslie/Lohman Gay Arts Foundation.”  The general public is invited to attend the exclusive Friday evening event and will take place beginning at 6:30 pm and will conclude by 8:30pm.  The address is 26 Wooster Street, New York.  It is one block north of Canal Street and two blocks east of 6th Avenue.  RSVP’s will be taken by phone after May 15th to ensure admittance.  The number to call to RSVP is 347-949-3747.   Due to the adult nature of the topic, all attendees must be 18 years of age or older.

According to Graham, “We’ve been invited to hold our launch at a number of prestigious venues, but in the end, the Leslie/Lohman Gallery has such an astounding record of accomplishment for standing up to support the Gay community and allow for an expression often shunned or marginalized in the mainstream art world.  For us, it was an easy decision – as humbled and gratified as we were to be invited by The National Press Club in Washington, DC, The Yale Club, among others, we felt an allegiance to the good people at Leslie/Lohman for their astonishing work and their courage.”  According to Shapiro, “it will be an evening filled with amazing Gay art, books and discussion, all the while imbibing in spirits and meeting the leaders and thinkers of the Gay community.”

“The Gay State” is Graham’s continued galvanizing of the global Gay community.  The Gay independence movement which has been gaining momentum around the world, has formed the international F.I.G.S. Party – for friends and supporters of a “Free, Independent Gay State.”  Graham’s hypothesis is that Gay people everywhere are a people – one people – with a distinct culture, traditions and ideals and deserve a politically autonomous territory, free from the ongoing oppression and persecution of the “non-Gay” majority.  In the book, Graham outlines 3,000 years of a “kaleidoscope of horrors” as he puts it.  He also details some of the atrocities up to today, when he claims 95% percent of the nations still discriminate against Gays at the very least, and root them out for extermination at the worst.  “There remain at least 80 nations that have outlawed our very existence,” the author and international Gay activist explains. Graham’s “The Gay State” covers the socio-political solution to the ongoing tensions that exist between the Gay community and the “so-called” conservatives and the religious.

Graham added, “Millions of my people have had their lives destroyed and to what end?  Enough! As Bishop Desmond Tutu has said in defense of oppressed people everywhere, ‘I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master.  I want the full menu of rights.’”  With Graham’s book, more people around the world will open their eyes to what the world could be, an alternative to what it is.

For more information, go to the website: www.thegaystate.eu.   Books can be pre-ordered and reserved by calling 347-949-3747.

Feral:
They have an interesting take on the art of crafting press releases.

I have to confess I've grown more interested in their forthcoming publication over time rather than less. What I've read from them does follow Dr. Herzl quite closely. They mention, for example, a "Society of Gays." If this term (which is awkward at best and makes little sense in English) is a direct analog of Herzl's "Society of Jews" (which makes a great deal of sense in the original German, along with a number of European languages) then they propose to create something interesting indeed.

Mogul:
A couple of things look 'slightly exaggerated', but... Any effort to our common goal is welcome. Hopefully, a little bit more will come out of this than a copy-paste version of Dr. Herzl's thesis.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version