General Forum > GLBT General Topics

Iran

(1/6) > >>

Mogul:

--- Quote from: Feral on Wed, Jul 05, 2006, 23:49 ---Doug Ireland has another story about an amazing gay activist in Iran. It will appear in Gay City News tomorrow, but you can read it on Doug's blog today.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---I asked Mani what would happen to him if the government found out about his gay activism with the PGLO. He answered, “I would definitely be killed in the most horrendous way, and my family, too, would be harassed and persecuted. No physical sign of me will remain. But I believe my name will live on as a defender of homosexual rights in everyone’s memory.”
--- End quote ---

The story received a predictable continuation. According to a new report by Doug Ireland, Mani's identity was discovered by his employer and reported to the authorities. Luckily, the man managed to escape to Turkey and is in Istanbul now, penniless and living on the street. Arsham Parsi from the Iranian Queer Organization (former PGLO) asks for donations to help Mani survive in Turkey.

Feral:
What places remain that ARE safe for them to seek refuge in?

Mogul:
Swerige Radio reports that Sweden has resumed extradiction of gay Asylum seekers to Iranian authorities:

--- Quote ---Sweden has again started expelling Iranian homosexuals seeking asylum here – ending the freeze which went into effect after the public hangings of 2 teen-age gays in Iran over a year ago. Swedish migration authorities say they are basing their decision on reports from the Swedish Embassy in Teheran which claim that homosexuals risk no dangers there – as long as they are discrete.

Swedish gay activists and the Swedish section of the global human rights organization, Amnesty International, sharply criticize this line as cynical – asking if other categories of persecuted refugees are being denied asylum here with the argument that they should go home and simply avoid detection by the regimes.
--- End quote ---

This shows once again how little we can trust into western democracies and our "common values". Wasn't Sweden once one of the most liberal countries in this world? Also the attempts of Netherland's government last year to extradict gay refugees shall not be forgotten.

Mogul:
I wonder about how an on-site gay activism is possible under such political circumstances. The man is undoubtedly in real life danger, and the personal informations disclosed in the report are actually sufficient to identify him, should the Iranian authorities become interested. In my personal opinion, it would be better if the man was brought out of the country immediately.

Feral:
Doug Ireland has another story about an amazing gay activist in Iran. It will appear in Gay City News tomorrow, but you can read it on Doug's blog today.

--- Quote ---I asked Mani what would happen to him if the government found out about his gay activism with the PGLO. He answered, “I would definitely be killed in the most horrendous way, and my family, too, would be harassed and persecuted. No physical sign of me will remain. But I believe my name will live on as a defender of homosexual rights in everyone’s memory.”

What would Mani like to say to Western gays? “You who live serenely and comfortably on the other side of Iran’s frontiers, be aware that those who think and feel and love like you do in Iran are executed for the crime of homosexuality, are assassinated, kidnapped, and barred from working in offices. You have festivals, and they prisons. You select Mr. Gay of the Year, but they don’t even enjoy the right to have gravestones. Be fair and tell us what difference there is between us and you. Isn’t it time that all homosexuals around the world rise up and come to our defense?
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version