GLR Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Read "Sixteen Propositions" by Michael Denneny in our online-Library!
 http://library.gayhomeland.org/0003/EN/index.htm

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Russia  (Read 13338 times)

Feral

• Official Flying Monkey Smiter
  • Administrator
Re: Russia
« Reply #7 on: Sat, May 27, 2006, 17:11 »

120 detained over gay-pride parade in Moscow

Moscow, May 27, Interfax - Up to 120 young people claiming to be members of the gay community have been detained for trying to stage an unauthorized march in downtown Moscow, a city police spokesman told Interfax.

"There were a total of 200 people," the spokesman said. They hurled smoke bombs at passers-by and police and set off fireworks, he said.

Other people tried to stop the demonstrators, the spokesman said. "The administration of the central interior affairs department authorized the detention of the most aggressive young people in order to avoid clashes," he said.

The action's organizers and other members of the gay rights movement were put into buses and taken to police stations, he said. Most of them have already been released, the spokesman said.

Several journalists and foreigners were among those detained during the unauthorized march, a law enforcement source told Interfax.
Stonewall was a riot.

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: Fri, May 26, 2006, 23:35 »

Tomorrow, May 27, 2006 the first russian gay parade in Moskow is to take place. The demonstration was "forbidden" by the city government and the decicion upheld by a court on May 26. The organizing committee is determined to perform the demonstration despite the declared will of the authorities to prohibit it. Tomorrow we will know more details.

Official website of the organizers: http://gayrussia.ru

Unfortunately, Russian gay community is divided - several groups and activists have signed a "declaration" calling for a boycott of the parade just days before it shall take place. There have been a "civil war" in the community for monthes - but in the last1-2 days before the parade the critical voices have at least stopped to agitate against the parade. Will there a change happen in their minds? I hope so, for the sake of the Russian gay community. United we stand, divided we fall.

Some comments/stories in the press:

http://ukgaynews.org.uk/Archive/2006may/2602.htm
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=1484
http://ukgaynews.org.uk/Archive/2006may/2601.htm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/26/wpride26.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/05/26/ixnews.html

Besides, Pether Thatchell from the UK-based Outrage! and several members of European and German parliament will participate in the marche.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

Feral

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, May 22, 2006, 23:30 »

Thank you for this, Mogul. I see that it is also similar to California Proposition 6 (the Briggs Initiative). The campaign against that legislation was what brought Harvey Milk to political prominence outside of the city of San Francisco.
Stonewall was a riot.

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: Mon, May 22, 2006, 18:08 »

Update on the proposed legislation to prohibit "homosexual propaganda" in Russia:

The legislation proposal was submitted on 28 April 2006 by the member of parliament ("Duma") Alexander Tschuyew from the Party “Rodina” (= "Homeland"), and reads as following (in my free translation):

"
Russian Federation
[/size]
Federal law
[/size]

On the introduction of the addition into the criminal code of the Russian Federation, which foresees penal responsibility for the propaganda of the homosexuality

Article 1. To supplement the criminal code of the Russian Federation (Compillation of the legislation of the Russian Federation, 1996, N 25, art. 2954; 1998, N 26, art. 3012; 2001, № 26, art. 2587; № 33, art. 3434; 2002, № 26, art. 2518; № 30, art. 3029; 2003, № 11, art. 954; № 50, art. 4848) by article 242.1 of following contents: [/color]

Article 242.1. Propaganda of homosexuality.
The propaganda of homosexuality, which is contained in the public appearance, the publicly demonstrated work or the media, including expressing in the public demonstration of the homosexual way of life and homosexual orientation is punished by the deprivation of the right to occupy specific positions or to exercise specific activities for the period from two to five years.

Article 2. Present federal law comes into force from the day of its official publication."

The author of the legislative proposal attached an explanatory note to the proposal:

"Explanatory note to the project of the federal law "About the introduction of the addition into the criminal code of the Russian Federation, which foresees penal responsibility for the propaganda of homosexuality"

The propaganda of homosexuality took on in modern Russia the widest dimensions. This propaganda is conducted both through the media and through the active introduction in the educational institutions of the curricula, which propagandize homosexuality as the standard of behavior. This propaganda is especially dangerous for children and young people, yet not capable of critically relate to that avalanche of information, which is brought down on them each day, all the more, when teachers conduct it. In connection with this it is necessary to fence society, first of all the growing up generation, from the action of homosexual propaganda – this goal is pursued by the present bill.

The bill provides for penal responsibility not for the fact of homosexual orientation of man, but for the active propaganda of homosexuality. In connection with this, the proposed article of criminal code relates to chapter 25 Penal Code of Russian Federation (crimes against the health of population and public morals), but not to chapter 18 (crimes against the sexual inviolability and the freedom of personality). In connection with this, the punishment does not assume the deprivation of freedom or imposition of penalty onto the perpetrator, but it sets as its goal the deprivation of the convict of the possibility to continue his homosexual propaganda with the use of his official position. Rejecting no one’s basic rights to life, respect for personal merit and the participation in public affairs, this law project establishes that those, who propagandize the homosexual means of life, must not be allowed to occupy positions which are related to teaching, educational and other work among children and young people, and also occupation of supervising positions and positions in military and places of detention.

This question is especially urgent today because the representatives of a number of organizations and electronic mass media of sexual minorities of Russia announced their plans to perform a "Gay Parade in Moscow" in the near future, which already caused serious public resonance. "

Summing up, one recognizes the mental connection to the  Section 28 of the Local Government Act 1988 (2a in Scotland), introduced by Margaret Thatcher in  1987. Unlike the Tatcher law proposal, the Russian counterpart is badly composed and is not very likely to be accepted by the parliament. It is not said, however, that Russian parlament members would strongly oppose to a proposal submitted by the Kremlin, should this ever happen in the next future.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: Sat, May 13, 2006, 08:47 »

Up to date, I was not able to locate any contens of the proposal on “prohibition of propaganda of homosexuality” submitted by Alexander Tschuyew from the Party “Rodina”. As soon as there will be details in the Russian press, I will report here.

The persecution of homosexuals in Russia is not really a matter of centuries, as it was in Europe and in the Colonies. In the Soviet time, the Article 120 was often used to eliminate politically unconvenient opponents.

“In 1934, consensual sex between adult men was declared a criminal action. Untill 1993  gays were imprisoned under article 121, although in the ninethies only few men were actually imprisoned. It is obvious that, in essence, the article 121 was used as the method of political pressure. Between 1930 and 1980, approximately 1000 men were condemned and sent to camps yearly. At the end of 1980th the numbers began to decrease. According to the Russian Ministry of Justice, in the year 1989, 538 people were sentenced under article 121, in 1990 - 497, in 1991 - 462, in the first half-year of 1992 - 227 people. At the moment of the cancellation of article 121 on 27 May 1993, some 73 men were incarcerated exclusively for the voluntary sexual relations with adult men, and 192 men were incarcerated under this und other articles.”

First attempt to re-install the criminal persecution for consensual sex between men was undertaken in the year 2002 (http://www.gay.ru/society/phobia/rajkov/), in my free translation:

“ The deputies of the pro-president centrist fractions Rogozin, Bulavinov, Mutsoyev and Makhachev in 2002 submitted a legislation proposal - as it is separately said, "not foreseeing additional expenditures, covered by the federal budget". Deputies proposed to supplement criminal code of Russian Federation with new article 131-1: "the unnatural satisfaction of sexual need of man with man (“pederasty”) is punished by deprivation of freedom for a period from one to five years". The discussion in the Russian society of this homophobic initiative of politicians endured for approximately 2 years. On 28 May 2004, Deputies of the Duma refused correction of the criminal code RF, suggested by the party "Peoples Deputy". For the adoption of the bill voted 58 deputies (with 226 voices being required), 34 voted against, 1 restrained from voting. The remaining deputies simply ... did not regard it necessary to participate. "If we do not support today these corrections, tomorrow we, possibly, will be confronted with law proposals about the legalization of unisexual marriages", stated Gennadi Raikov at the sitting of the Parliament. He, by the way, does not leave the attempts to revive his initiative, in particular, indicating formal mistakes in the procedure of voting.”

The current initiative of Alexander Tschuyew from the Party “Rodina” clearly interdepends with the attempts of Russian gay activists to organize the first Gay Pride in Moscow this year. The Russian Orthodox Church, neo-fashists and several populist parties are very actively trying to turn public opinion against gays and lesbians in an effort to prevent further liberalization known from the West. Unfortunately, the general public still regards homosexuals as inferior creatures, and the Moscow’s Mayor intends to prohibit this year’s Pride (in the year 2002 Lushkow has already cancelled the Parade). On 15 May 2006 the initiators of the Moscow Pride are planning to submit their official request for the demonstration – soon we will know whether they will succeed or not this year.

The distribution of seats in the Russian Parliament (Duma) makes it extremely unlikely that the suggested legislation, whatever its exact wording might be, will be accepted. Major party is the “United Russia” of President Putin, and its current policy does not include active oppression of gays. This time, there is no real reason for panic, as without “OK” from the President no laws are passing the Parliamint in Russia. Unfortunately, who can guarantee that in the time after Mr Putin such a law might not be introduced really?

Interstingly, the criminal Code of the Russian Federation includes an anti-discrimination statute (article 136). In my free translation it reads as follows:

Chapter 19. Crimes against the constitutional rights and the freedoms of man and citizen

Article 136. Disturbance of the equality of rights and freedoms of man and citizen

1) Discrimination, i.e. the violation of rights, freedoms and legitimate interests of man and citizen based on his sex, race, nationalitiy, language, origin, property and official position, place of residence, religion, persuasions, belonging to public associations or any social groups, is punished by [fine of so and so much Rubel] or by corrective labor for the period of up to one year, or by the deprivation of freedom for the period of up to two years.

2) The same act, commited by an official, is punished by [fine of so and so much Rubel], or by deprivation of the right to occupy specific positions [..] for the period of up to five years or [..] by corrective labor for the period from one year to two years or by the deprivation of freedom for the period to five years. ”

Unfortunately, like in many third-world countries, there is a big difference between the written and the practiced law. Nowadays, even most clear and direct instigations to physical violence against gays remain unpunished: for instance, a Mufti called Talgat Tadjuddin has publicly declared that gays must be beaten and stoned, and he still is a free man – see the report. The most outrageous crimes against homosexual men (or assumingly homosexual men) are still happening in prisons - brutal rape and dayly sexual abuse by co-detainees are common and even are encouraged by the prison personel - as a means to "keep order". There is so much to do, that human rights activists will have to work for decades.

K6

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: Fri, May 12, 2006, 12:32 »

The precedents embodied in the past history of Russia are not encouraging.It has never been a democratic country,and I don`t think it will retain
the western characteristics it has acquired after the demise of the Soviet Union.That goes for the decriminalization of homosexuality.In Russia,they never seriously adhered to it,so it will not last.The same way it didn`t last long the last time it was decriminalized,in or around 1918.It was made a crime againt and in 1934.Throughout the history of Russia,the rulers never encountered the type of opposition which in the west lead to,say, parliementary democracy,trade unions and personal freedom,after centuries of evolution.

K6

Feral

• Administrator
Russia
« Reply #1 on: Fri, May 12, 2006, 07:24 »

I have, of late, been trying to find some information on this story:

On the 3d of May members of faction of the far right party “Rodina” (Motherland) has prepared a project of a new law against homosexuals. The first hearing of the law can be as early as June.

The main idea is to forbid open gays and lesbians from working in schools, universities, medias as well as key positions within the army and the police.

Sadly, this proposed law is not being much discussed in the news sources available to me. Does anyone else know anything about it?

In the process of looking for it though, I did stumble upon this disturbing article by Dmitry Lytchev published May 27, 2002:

Two years ago when I warned readers in my article "Russian gays facing dictatorship of homophobes?" that the Yeltsin era's rulings will be recalled by Russian gays as the most liberal, and that from Vladimir V. Putin's phrase "Dictatorship of the law" that only the first word would remain, I was certain that an assault on human rights would not keep us waiting for long. 

Among other things, the article contains this letter:

Having escaped from the Russian Kaliningrad to Belgium and seeking asylum there, Arkady Vasilevsly wrote the following letter to the Queen of Belgium, quoted here in part:

"Your Majesty, our city Kaliningrad is an enclave separated from the rest of Russia. This has allowed the creation of structures that violate human rights. At present there is a real holocaust in our region -- police units openly persecuting gays. Lately this persecution has expanded . There are now executions.

"This campaign is headed by the colonel Emelyanov and the special police department created by him. Because of the steps they've taken, the number of faded lives can be counted in tens. Gays are enduring physical and psychological assaults. Many fake cases have been generated and, as a result, the innocent are subjected to imprisonment lasting between 10-14 years. The gay prisoners are held in inhuman conditions, assaulted by the prisoners and by prison personnel. Many commit suicide.

"This evidence is thoroughly hidden from human right organizations. I have also been discriminated against, persecuted and horribly tortured by these rulers. I was arrested and imprisoned. After my imprisonment I was in the hospital for a while where I was given the degree of disablement. The condition of my health has exploded, and I am currently in the distinct degree of dystrophy. My mother attempted to defend my rights but the prosecutor's office sent her to the mental hospital. Only because of a miracle and with the help of my friends I was given the chance to escape to the Kingdom Of Belgium. I arrived here in the condition of the strongest depression and melancholy. After my escape, the police openly announced to my mother that they'd shot me after an 'attempted' escape."
Signed,
Arkady Vasilevsly

« Last Edit: Fri, May 12, 2006, 11:23 by Feral »
Stonewall was a riot.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up