GLR Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Read "Sixteen Propositions" by Michael Denneny in our online-Library!
 http://library.gayhomeland.org/0003/EN/index.htm

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay News Service (was 365 Forum)  (Read 16109 times)

Feral

• Official Flying Monkey Smiter
  • Administrator
Re: Gay News Service (was 365 Forum)
« Reply #3 on: Thu, May 18, 2006, 23:00 »

Has anyone some idea what kind of software can be used for such an enterprise?

Software is something I know very little about, so my recommendations have no weight. QueerDay used MovableType. It seems to have served him quite well, though Philo is also handy at web designing, so much of the resulting product may be his own craft-work and not the result of any particular software. MovableType is a fairly popular choice among bloggers. Of course, Philo considered QueerDay to be nothing more than a weblog. But what is a weblog if not a small newspaper with a devoted and outspoken editor? As Mr. Hagen pointed out in his FAQ page:

Why are you doing this?

I never found the lgbt site I always wished existed, so I decided to create it. Queer Day had grown weary of what passes for our press poorly rewriting stories and press releases and passing them off as news. I routinely give you a slice of what to expect and give you the link to the source so you can go get the rest of the story.

I have a hard time criticizing "our" press -- at least we have a press. We very much need one. There cannot be too many gay news outlets, and complaining about a particular slant or bias to the coverage or even the quality of the writing is of little use. All these charges are reasons to start up even more outlets.

Still, it seems to me that too many of our press outlets are merely acting the role of journalists, rather than being journalists.
Stonewall was a riot.

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
Re: 365 Forum
« Reply #2 on: Thu, May 18, 2006, 16:54 »

Welcome here, guys!

I hope you will find a new "home" here - even if we are not as famous a forum as 365gay.com.   :T

Believe me, Fer, if I had a better computer, and high-speed access, I would LOVE to do it.

And that would be why it was only half-serious. I know that it's not possible just now.

Do keep it in mind though. By my count, the company known as Hyperion Interactive Media has roughly 6 employees. In 2003 they took in $500,000 in revenue (and do correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that was after the internet bubble burst). While they have churned out over 20 websites, a brief browse of the list will show that their quality is...open to debate.

There is nothing wrong with business. And there is everything right with business that services the needs of the gay people.

It seems that printed media are loosing their market year by year - and online magazines are developing extremely well. Should you launch a news service, I would be glad to contribute news from Germany and Russia. :) Has anyone some idea what kind of software can be used for such an enterprise?
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

Feral

• Official Flying Monkey Smiter
  • Administrator
Gay News Service (was 365 Forum)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, May 18, 2006, 05:19 »

Believe me, Fer, if I had a better computer, and high-speed access, I would LOVE to do it.

And that would be why it was only half-serious. I know that it's not possible just now.

Do keep it in mind though. By my count, the company known as Hyperion Interactive Media has roughly 6 employees. In 2003 they took in $500,000 in revenue (and do correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that was after the internet bubble burst). While they have churned out over 20 websites, a brief browse of the list will show that their quality is...open to debate.

There is nothing wrong with business. And there is everything right with business that services the needs of the gay people.
Stonewall was a riot.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up