GLR Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Read "Sixteen Propositions" by Michael Denneny in our online-Library!
 http://library.gayhomeland.org/0003/EN/index.htm

Poll

When should inactive threads on this site be moved to the Archives?

After 30 days of inactivity/no new posts
After 45 days of inactivity/no new posts
after 60 days of inactivity/no new posts
Much faster
Much slower
Never
Who cares?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Archiving Topics  (Read 7204 times)

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
Re: Archiving Topics
« Reply #9 on: Mon, Oct 04, 2010, 23:01 »

I have moved a number of minor topics to the archive section.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 12:11 »

Manually removal is of course a better choice.  :Q

[..] Opening the archives to casual guests would, I think, serve little purpose--unregistered members cannot post anywhere but the Coral Sea Cafe.

I was thinking of the possibility to read the old posts in archives, of course!  O:) It can very well happen that a visitor might become interested in a very old topic to such a degree that he feels urged to register and post a reply by himself. With hidden archives we are in danger that the forum appears empty despite of a plentitude of old posts.  :+
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

Feral

• Official Flying Monkey Smiter
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 11:03 »

I wasn't thinking of having the process automated--manually and on a case-by-case basis has worked up to now just fine. I just wanted to remind people that the archives exist, and that the topics there can still be posted on if someone has something to add.  ;D

Sticky topics like the FAQ should stay just where they are.

Opening the archives to casual guests would, I think, serve little purpose--unregistered members cannot post anywhere but the Coral Sea Cafe.
Stonewall was a riot.

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 09:45 »

Ahem, still want remind you that certain old topics are important:  :+ In case we choose the automated removal of old topics, we should retrieve at least the FAQ's manually. ;) The next point is that the archives contain now not only the old topics, but also lots of unnecessary trash (re-directs etc). Is it possible to remove all the rubbish while keeping old topics there? I also would suggest that we make the archives open for visitors then - maybe some would like the old stuff.

Feral

• Official Flying Monkey Smiter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 08:57 »

As things currently stand, if a topic has not been posted in for two months, it gets manually moved to the Archives board. These topics are not dead, however. Should a topic merit continued discussion, feel free to locate it in the Archives and post on it. Thereafter, it will be moved back into the appropriate area of the regular forums.
Stonewall was a riot.

donClark

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: Sat, Aug 27, 2005, 12:06 »

I would suggest after two months of incativitiy, or even 45 days, then they can go to a archive folder somewhere, and if then they ger more activity bring them back :=SU

Jaix

« Reply #3 on: Sat, Aug 27, 2005, 09:47 »

Well maybe you should put some things to rest.  I think that everyone has gotten all they can get out of the Dale topic.
It is kind of like pulling wings off of flys..the first 100 are lots of fun, then it gets tedious.
But my opinion doesn't really count.  I'm just like a next door neighbor that stops by for a beer and  some gossip.
The Commonwealth doesn't have much news, other than Regent Dan went to Vancouver BC and descended into previously unexplored levels of debauchery (lucky dog).  But he isn't forthcoming with details :WN

G'day

Jaix

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: Fri, Aug 26, 2005, 10:57 »

I would suggest a content-oriented approach: some old topics can be still VERY imortant, even if no comments appeared in the last time. For example, financial reports, By-laws, FAQ etc.

Other topics, such as announcements or threads about what will be in the TV next week, could be shifted much earlier to the archives.

Better each thread is judged individually.  :L

Vizier

• Vizier, Your WebMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Bok-bok-bok!
    • Vizier's Homepage
Archiving Topics
« Reply #1 on: Thu, Aug 25, 2005, 14:17 »

Hello all! Occasionally I have to actually act like a webmaster.  When Vicky and I first discussed this forum and I found the software we are using, one of the things I marveled at is how nicely it runs itself and how little maintenance is required.

However (and this "but" is bigger than mine  ;) ), I just took a stroll through using my "newbie" eyes, which is what I do when I try to figure out what newcomers might find disturbing or confusing in here. One thing that stood out immediately is that we appear a little cluttered and some of that clutter is because of a lot of older threads with no activity in eons.

Vicky and I did discuss recently how to approach this and towards that end I have created an "Archive" category which will always live at the very bottom of the page. Now comes the question, how long should a thread be allowed to hang around before it gets moved there? This being a sort of more or less (generally) democratic little outfit, it is time to put the issue before the masses (as it were) and let everyone opine during the next two weeks, after which we'll tell you the poll results and take the appropriate action.

'K?   :E
Having recently escaped the bowels of East Germany, I remain

VIZIER, your exalted yet most humble WebMaster
Pages: [1]   Go Up