GLR Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Read "Sixteen Propositions" by Michael Denneny in our online-Library!
 http://library.gayhomeland.org/0003/EN/index.htm

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GAY ACTIVISM IN AMERICA  (Read 4634 times)

K6

• Forum member
Re: GAY ACTIVISM IN AMERICA
« Reply #5 on: Wed, Jun 21, 2006, 13:09 »

We were wacked by AIDS towards the mid and late 80s.With AIDS,we lost the joy of living we had before.We retreated into the mediocrities of
private life and became either apolitical or socially conservative.

K6

K6

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: Wed, Jun 21, 2006, 12:53 »

We used to call this phenomenon "internalized homophobia." In fact, it's still called that. People just seemed to have stopped considering this issue, as if somehow it had magically gone away some time in 1985.

It is to wonder wether a motivation for being gay and grounded in politics would not in the end carry less weight than a motivation grounded in pure egoism.Before the mid 80s,it was common for gays in my circle to poke fun at and make jokes about the hethro lifestyle,particularly its limitations and consequences.Nowadays,the only person with whom I can still have a good discussion and laugh at the misfortunes of hethro
married people is my sibling,not without some measure of merit from the part of the said sibling who is *heterosexual*.The said sibling simply never
married and has only contempt for marriage and family life.That independent individual,family ties apart,is closer to me than many gays.

K6

Feral

• Official Flying Monkey Smiter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, Jun 21, 2006, 09:13 »

Yes indeed.

I have never felt comfortable in my own sexuality to go as far for my OWN rights. Could that be a problem with other gays as well? If you go out in a street and march,you're open and vulnerable and eveyrone can see who you are. It's cowardly when you think of it. Shameful even, but it's a reality. It's one thing to spend a Friday night in a gay bar but another to spend Friday daytime marching down Broadway demanding same sex marriage rights. It's kinda like what Bill Cosby said to young blacks, that alot of them might unknowingly house self-hatred that keeps them from fighting.

We used to call this phenomenon "internalized homophobia." In fact, it's still called that. People just seemed to have stopped considering this issue, as if somehow it had magically gone away some time in 1985.
Stonewall was a riot.

Mogul

• Viktor Zimmermann
  • Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: Wed, Jun 21, 2006, 07:24 »

Corporations bend over backwards for the pink dollar.  But it would be folly to mistake that attention for advances in civil rights, much in the same way it's folly to think a prostitute loves you, or will love you after your wallet has been emptied.

Isn't this true? As long as a buck can be made with gay people, we are welcome guests; if concentration camps would be built same people would invest into barbwire.

The fact is that while we're dancing in the streets and arguing over the merits of Will Truman and Ellen, our adversaries are working diligently and opening their wallets, in some cases at a rate 10 times our own, to do us great harm.

Not only do they open their wallets, but also show an amazing degree of passion for their cause, spending days in protests and not afraid of getting beaten by the riot police. In contrast, many gay people still show little interest in spending their time and money for struggles for their own rights.

„I have never felt comfortable in my own sexuality to go as far for my OWN rights. Could that be a problem with other gays as well? If you go out in a street and march,you're open and vulnerable and eveyrone can see who you are. It's cowardly when you think of it. Shameful even, but it's a reality. It's one thing to spend a Friday night in a gay bar but another to spend Friday daytime marching down Broadway demanding same sex marriage rights.” (Bobby Alexander’s comment)
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!" Salvor Hardin

Feral

• Official Flying Monkey Smiter
  • Administrator
GAY ACTIVISM IN AMERICA
« Reply #1 on: Tue, Jun 20, 2006, 08:41 »

Proceed At Your Own Risk has begun posting a three-part essay on the state of gay activism in the United States and its future. If Monday's installment is any indication of the remaining parts, it proves to be a thought-provoking essay.

Thanks to the AIDS crisis, the fight for gay civil rights was side-tracked and very much was left undone.  As result, despite festive parades, gay games and an increasing presence in television entertainment, we remain almost as vulnerable as we were on June 27, 1969.  I realize that is a sweeping and seemingly insane statement, but without the protection of law, we remain subject to the whim of the majority.
Stonewall was a riot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up